Saturday, June 6, 2015

Why Should I Hire a Birth Photographer?

Birth Photography...I am seeing this area of specialization being asked about more and more. It's becoming much more mainstream. But, what exactly does it entail? What should I expect if I hire a birth photographer? How do I choose one? Hopefully, I can answer some of those questions in this blog series.

Part One: Why Should I Hire a Birth Photographer?

If you ask what most people what was the biggest day of their life, two answers will be at the top of the list: The day I got married, and The day my children were born. Ironically, both days often pass in a blur of hazy memories (although for much different reasons). While hiring a wedding photographer to record all the details of the day is the norm, the decision to hire a birth photographer is a much more personal and private one.

All sorts of thoughts run through our heads when we consider a birth photographer: I don't want someone to see THAT part of me. How am I going to feel about someone I don't know very well being in the hospital room for the birth of my child? Why would I want pictures of me giving birth? I have my husband there or my mom, why do I need to hire a photographer? They can take pictures.

All of those are valid thoughts. However, here are some other things to consider.

When you hire a birth photographer, you are hiring a professional, trained observer. Their entire purpose is to capture the story of your child's birth. Hiring a birth photographer is a very personal choice. Meeting prospective photographer prior to hiring is imperative. A birth photographer should have a calm, quiet presence. While in the delivery room, she should be able to be a "fly-on-the-wall." During this meeting, all of your concerns should be addressed. If you do not want any pictures of private areas, tell her. It is totally possible to capture everything needed without shots of private parts.




Birth is an emotional experience that every family member in the delivery room is caught up in. Grandparents are both excited and concerned about the pain their daughter is in. Dads-to-be are excited about their child's birth and wondering if everything mom is experiencing is normal. Cameras are often grabbed as an after thought and then pictures have to be taken in less than ideal setting. Often, laboring mommas are in a darkened room so they can try to relax. Consumer grade cameras are not equipped to operate in low lighting situations without the flash firing. Birth photographers have professional grade lenses that can fully function in very little light. They are able to capture these special moments with no intrusion at all.



On the topic of family members...When the big moment arrives, and that sweet, beautiful baby is born, everyone is caught up in the moment, as they should be. Hiring a birth photographer allows everyone to have their focus exactly where it needs to be: on mom and that new baby! Everyone can relax knowing that every details is being perfectly captured.


One thing most mommas (including myself) can attest to, is that your memories of the day your child is born are hazy. Being able to look at quality images from that day can fill in gaps and clarify other memories. From beginning to end, you can relive all those emotions over and over. In addition, every other family member in the room, will be captured in those images as well. This is impossible if dad or grandma has the camera.


Birth photographers can produce gorgeous images of one of the most important days of your life.


Still wondering if birth photography is for you? Or, maybe you have decided you want a birth photographer, but how do you choose one? Later this week, I will be blogging about questions to ask a potential birth photographer. If you have any questions, concerns or thoughts you'd like addressed, please comment below!

Of course, you are always welcome to contact me directly if you are interested in birth photography.
Christy White Photography
www,cwhite-photography.com
713-408-1207
christywhitephotography@yahoo.com







No comments: